Childbirth Education Classes
Indy Doula Associates offers an array of classes to suit the varied needs of our clients. Take a single class, a whole series, or even custom create a class package! From Comfort Measures to Birthing Affirmations, Partner Support to the Calm Birth series, we have a class for everyone! While class series are not currently scheduled, IDA offers private classes at any time.
Class 1: Welcome to your support role!
So much of the education surrounding having a baby revolves around the birth process, discovering mom’s options, hiring the right care provider for her, choosing a Doula and postpartum planning. Additionally, there are concerns and unique needs that partners have in addition to these topics. In this discussion class, we’ll discuss topics such as:
- Why women benefit from support
- Understanding rhythm and the zone
- Active Listening skills
- The Do’s and Don’ts of the Birth Partner
- Bouncers, Guardians and Line of Defense
- Self-Care… and more!
Class 2: coping techniques and comfort measures
So many families have an intense amount of fear going into birth. This is designed to make you feel confident in your birthing experience through the following.
- Review the stages of labor
- Help you develop realistic expectations
- Provide opportunities to learn & practice comfort measures, coping techniques to help manage your labor
Class 3: birth planning and detours
A Birth Plan is an outline of your family’s choices about labor, birth, and the early postpartum period. Preparing for the best birth can be a very empowering and knowledgeable experience. Topics include
- Purpose behind a “Birth Plan”
- Becoming an Educated Consumer
- What if…?
- What’s in your Bag? Hospital packing list
- When to call your Doula
Dealing with Detours
There are a multitude of choices about pregnancy and birth you will be faced with. Many reference books, TV, Youtube, Facebook, and movies are based on fear. We will help by teaching you about
- accepting the unpredictable nature of labor
- Discussing options
- Finding resources that provide evidence-based information
- Building a support system for challenging times
class 4: affirmations for birth
Women often have thoughts during pregnancy that could hold them back from the birth they desire. “I’m not sure I can do this”, “What if my body doesn’t know what to do”, "What if I do all this and still end up with a c-section”, "I’m 38 weeks with no dilation". “What if thoughts” steal your joy!! We will help you:
- Identify thoughts
- Release those thoughts
- Replace them with Positive affirmations
class 6: breastfeeding basics
Join Indy Doula Associates in learning how to give your baby the best start to life. Breastfeeding is the biological norm and typically begins in the first hour after birth. IDA has taught you what to expect through pregnancy and labor, now let us take you through the Breastfeeding Basics so you can be confident in feeding your baby. We’ll discuss
- The first hour after birth
- Milk production
- What to expect in the early days and weeks
- How to know if you need extra help!
class 7: postpartum planning and early parenting
So much goes into birth planning, but often parents forget to put as much effort in planning for once baby arrives at home. In this class, we’ll focus on newborn care topics such as:
- Sleeping arrangements
- Diapering options…and more.
- Tips on breastfeeding support, researching pediatricians, child care options will also be discussed.
While care of baby is a focus of concern, care of the new mother is just as important! In the later part of this class we’ll discuss:
- Healing after birth
- Emotions – what’s normal, what might not be and how to get assistance
- Debriefing from your birth experience, no matter what your experience was
This discussion class is for all types of families… because not all families look the same! Our community is made up of families that identify as heterosexual, same-sex, interracial, ‘single by choice’, surrogate-supported and more, therefore this space is open, welcoming and inclusive. In fact, this space is your space so sign up and grab your seat!
Class Fees: $65 per class, $10 savings for IDA clients